Friday, May 28, 2010

Meet the Maids

Jeanne
Jeanne is my maid of honor and is well-qualified after performing the duties for her sister a few years ago. On move-in day freshman year at Centre, I heard someone say the girl across the hall was from New Jersey, and I knew I needed to meet her. Little did I know that it would lead to many years of friendship. I've taught Jeanne how to pump her gas (it's illegal in New Jersey) and tried to impart a little Southern charm, and Jeanne has taught me what icing is (other than cake frosting) and what it truly means to have a work ethic. Jeanne is getting ready for her final year at Ole Miss law school, and because her parents now live about an hour from Nashville, I get to see her on all her school breaks. Law school has also given her great tidbits of info that she loves to share, like whether I would legally have to return the ring if Jake and I broke up.

Jeanne and me at our prom party where we recycled our dresses from high school. Apparently they don't wear bubblegum pink in New Jersey.

Lauren
Although Lauren and I both grew up in Owensboro and went to the same high school, we didn't become friends until we were dorm neighbors at Centre. Now that we both work in communications (Lauren at the Kentucky Historical Society in Frankfort), we share a lot of on-the-job tips and commiseration. She is absolutely the most organized and meticulous person I know. We also have a passion for rollercoasters and spent 12 hours at Kings Island last summer. (I'm hoping for a repeat visit this summer!) We often meet up at my favorite place in the world, Kentucky Lake, but Lauren was also my travel buddy halfway around the world to India.


Christanna
Christanna is also a hallmate from freshman year (although she was down at the other end with arguably the world's craziest roommate). For sophomore year, I needed to live with someone else going abroad, Jake said "Christanna seems nice," and we were roomies for the rest of our college career. I actually never saw Christanna sleep after sophomore year (junior year she literally always went to bed after me and woke up before me, and we had our own rooms senior year), but I have fond memories of waking up to the sound of her crunching on granola. She will forever be my hero for eradicated the mouse that had infested our apartment - it was writhing on a glue trap, I was hyperventilating, and she was able, with only a few shrieks, to get it into a trash can and out onto the front porch. Now she's done with her first year of medical school at the University of Louisville, and I love that she's knows what I'm talking about when I say I'm writing a really cool article on necrotizing fasciitis.

This is Christanna at our prom party in her Goodwill monstrosity. This is the true essence of Christanna, but here's what she really looks like:


Leah
Without any real sisters, I have adopted Leah as my own. I especially love that she always wants to play games at Hill family gatherings. She just finished her sophomore year at Center, and Jake and I take pride in telling her what classes to take and what professors to avoid. She's made the extremely good decision to study abroad in London next spring and we hope we can make a visit. She has also just made her debut as a performing artist in Centre's bluegrass ensemble and I heard many rave reviews.

I had to include this pic of all the Hill children because it's the perfect family photo, but Leah's the pretty one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to see all these "Cheek 3" girls are going to be in the wedding! I'm sure you will all look beautiful, Leslie being the MOST beautiful of course!! Can't wait to see everyone!!! :)

    ReplyDelete