Monday, May 4, 2009

The Saga of the Ring


All weddings start with an engagement, and most engagements start with a sparkly diamond, and ours was no exception. Jake did a great job picking the perfect ring and planning the proposal, but the best part of the story is what happened next: the United States Postal Service lost the ring.

Jake went to great lengths to figure out my ring size (he actually went to my parent's house in Owensboro, examined rings I used to wear in high school and went through old photos to figure out which finger I wore them on), but it was still too big. The company Jake ordered it from in Seattle offered free resizing, so I took one last look, we packaged it up carefully and dropped it off at the post office, registered and insured.

The next day, we tracked the package online and saw that it had made it from the Acklen station to the main Nashville distribution center. When I checked again on Monday it was still in Nashville, and when it had not budged by Thursday, I got worried. I called the postal service, and they informed me that the package was indeed in Nashville. The person took my name and number and said someone would get back to within two business days. Just under that deadline, I got a call from Richard at the Acklen station. When I got the message and called back, Richard had already left for the day, but another worker boosted my confidence: "It's not lost, ma'am," he said. "Somebody would lose their job for that." 

Then I started having daily phone conversations with Susie. She first informed me that there was nothing to worry about, they knew my package was somewhere between Nashville and Los Angeles. Yep, nothing to worry about. "Registered mail is handed on personally at each exchange, so there is no reason it would be lost," Susie said. It wasn't lost, they just didn't know there it was.

Then miracles of miracles, Jake gets an e-mail from the ring company saying they received the package. Within a week (and more than three weeks after the proposal) the ring is on my finger, and it fits. According to the tracking however, package RA368669US is still at the Nashville distribution center.

3 comments:

  1. That's great! What a beautiful ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be known that I did not engage in the great ring size search on my own. Your parents were incredibly helpful and I think it was their idea to look in old photos.

    Just making sure I give credit where credit's due.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,

    I am so glad that the ring saga had a happy ending. Also, I will tell you this in person the next time we meet, but I want all the others out there reading this blog to know how very happy the prospect of you becoming a part of our family makes us. I think you are so good for Jake and I think he and we are so lucky to have you in our lives. We are looking forward to the wedding, and I will try not to sob out loud.

    John

    ReplyDelete