Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tag-Team Blogging

As you can see from the title, this is a two-person blog. Yet, up to now you have only heard from half of the Leslie-Jake team. Well, I'm the other, if secondary, half.

The way it generally works when a couple gets married is that about half of the wedding guests know the groom and the other half know the bride. After almost five years of dating, I've met most of Leslie's friends and family, but hopefully this blog will reach beyond those borders to people who have never met us before as a pair. As such, it seems only appropriate for me to introduce myself.

Leslie and I met the summer before our freshman year of high school and were almost immediately friends. Our friendship remained strong through four years at Daviess County High School and upon graduating decided (independently mind you) to attend Centre College. During our first semester at Centre we realized that our feelings were beyond friendship and here we are, engaged as of April 2009.

I left Centre with a double major in history and religion and decided to devote the next two years to teaching in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas as a member of Teach for Ameirca. Today, I'm a high school social studies teacher living in South Texas. I teach world history to 10th graders and government and economics to 12th graders.

I love my job and the place I live, but it's definitely hard. Work never ends at 3:40 p.m. when the bell rings--it seems like there's always something more I could be doing. Nevertheless, my students are generally great, the weather is unparalleled (above 90 and sunny for the forseeable future), the food is delicious, and the friends I've made since moving down here truly make the experience.

Anyway, hope you enjoy our musings along the path to matrimony. From time to time, look for a post from me on the male side of planning a wedding (whatever that is).

To infinity and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment